whys

whys

1. "Why don't we just yet married without any fuss and bother, " Dick said suddenly, as they were discussing what form the wedding reception should take.

"为什么我们不能只是结婚,而不搞那些多余的、令人烦恼又消耗精力的麻烦事呢?"迪克突然说。他们正在讨论婚礼的形式。

2. Why not let her do as she likes?

为什么不让她想怎么做就怎么做呢?

3. Why not stop them (from) polluting the river?

为什么不阻止他们污染这条河呢?

4. Why do modern people chase material possessions?

为什么现在的人们追求物质财富?

5. Why should the handicappedbe segregated from the able-bodied?

为什么要把伤残人士和身体健康的人分开?

6. Why give these people licence to enter the place at will?

为什麽允许这些人随意进入该地?

7. Why is it that I always land up cleaning the bath?

为什麽总是该我来洗刷浴缸?

8. Why should I trouble to explain it all?

为什麽我得费事都解释一遍呢?

9. Why should I get up at this unearthly hour?

为什麽我得这麽早起床?

10. Why do some children like slopping around in puddles?

为什麽有些儿童爱在水坑里泼水玩?

11. And that is why in this field, I have made recommendations.

为此,我在这方面提出了一系列建议。

12. The key question is in focus; why not reach a decision?

主要问题已非常明显,为何不作出结论呢?

13. I don't know why, but I took a strong dislike to him as soon as I saw him.

也不知为什麽,我一见他就十分讨厌他。

14. Dissected the plan afterward to learn why it had failed.

事后仔细分析那项计划以便搞清它失败的原因

15. One wonders also why Nature, with some snakes concocted poison of such extreme potency.

人们也不知道大自然为何在一些蛇身上调制出这样高效的毒液来。

16. People have propose all sort of hypotheses to explain why dinosaur have become extinct.

人们提出种种假设,试图说明恐龙为什么会灭绝。

17. Why don't you come round (to my flat) this evening?

今晚你来(我家), 好吗?

18. He didn't quite understand why the deal fell through.

他不十分理解为什么这场交易失败了。

19. He's not in; why don't you ring back after6 o'clock?

他不在; 你能在6点钟后再来个电话吗?

20. He doesn't want any ties; that's why he never married.

他不愿受束缚,所以不结婚。

21. Why he went there is a mystery to me.

他为什么到那里去,这对我来说是个谜。

22. Why is it that he rarely mentions his childhood?

他为什么很少提到他的儿童时代呢?

23. Why does he have to wrap it all up in such complicated language?

他为什麽非得用这麽艰深的语言说话呢?

24. Why have they delayed opening the school?

他们为什麽延期开学?

25. Do you ask why I, the queen of the gods, have left the heavenly plains and sought your depths.

他们问她来访的目的,她向他们阐明了来意:你们问我这个众神之后为什么要从天上的平原下到深海中来。

26. The reasons why he did it are obscure.

他做那事的理由还不清楚。

27. It's beyond me why he married her.

他怎么会娶了她,这我就不懂了。

28. His extravagance explains why he is always in debt.

他挥霍无度,难怪总欠债。

29. He runs 3 miles every morning; that's why he is so fit.

他每天早晨跑三哩路,因此才那么健康。

30. "I don't see why I must not go, " he burst in angrily.

他气愤地插嘴说:"我不明白为什么我不能去。"

31. His mind was crowded with whys.

他脑子里满是问号。

32. It seems uncertain why he lost the election.

他落选的原因似乎并不清楚。

33. He expounded the reasons why he did it.

他阐述了他做这件事的理由。

34. Why not just wait and see what happens?

何不静观其结果呢?

35. Must you dash off? Why not stay for a cup of tea?

你一定要急急忙忙走吗?为何不留下喝杯茶呢?

36. Why don't you look in (on me) next time you're in town?

你下次进城来顺便来串门儿好吗?

37. You don't like your job? In that case why don't you leave?

你不喜欢这份工作? 那你怎麽不辞掉呢?

38. Why don't you lay off smoking for a while until your cough gets better?

你为什么不先戒烟等你的咳嗽好了一些后再说?

39. Why don't you lay that problem aside for a while and work at it later?

你为什么不先把问题放在一边过会儿再说?

40. Why didn't you tell me the truth?

你为什么没跟我说实话?

41. Why did you stay away from school?

你为什么缺课?

42. Why are you always biting your nails?

你为什么老是咬指甲?

43. Why did you drop on to your son?

你为什么责备你的儿子?

44. Why are you poking about among my papers?

你为什麽乱翻我的文件?

45. Why did you do that, you cretin?

你为什麽做那事,你这个笨蛋?

46. Why are you phoning at this ungodly hour (of the night)?

你为什麽在(夜里)这个时候打电话来?

47. Why do you represent the matter in this way?

你为什麽把这事说成这样?

48. Who do you think you are? ie Why are you behaving in this overbearing, etc way?

你以为你很了不起吗?

49. Why are you all turning on me (ie criticizing or blaming me)?

你们为什麽都突然冲我来了(批评或责备我)?

50. Now, why don't you children beetle off into the garden and play?

你们这些孩子为什么现在还不赶快跑到花园里去玩?

51. Why on earth didn't you tell me the truth?

你到底为什么不跟我说实话?

52. Tell you what; why don't we have a picnic this afternoon?

你听我说,今天下午我们为什么不搞一次野餐呢?

53. Why didn't you catch the last bus as I told you to?

你怎么不听我的话赶乘末班公共汽车呢?

54. Why don't you go for a walk? It'll give you an appetite for your lunch.

你怎麽不出去散散步? 散散步午饭时就有食欲了。

55. Why don't you come over to England for a holiday?

你怎麽不到英国来度假呢?

56. Why don't you come up to Scotland for a few days?

你怎麽不北上到苏格兰来住几天?

57. Why don't you set your ideas down on paper?

你怎麽不把你的想法写在纸上呢?

58. Why don't you shave your beard off?

你怎麽不把胡子刮掉?

59. Why are you looking so lugubrious?

你怎麽看上去这样忧郁?

60. Why are you forever asking questions?

你怎麽老是问问题?

61. If you wanted me to go why didn't you say so in plain English instead of making vague hints?

你想叫我走,为什麽拐弯抹角而不直说?

62. You're obviously worried about something; why not get it off your chest?

你显然有心事,何不一吐为快?

63. Why don't you ever run the water off after you've had a bath?

你洗完澡後为什麽老是不把水放掉?

64. Why don't you mosey round to my place?

你溜达著到我这儿来好吗?

65. Do you know why Mr Brown has a heavy heart?

你知道为什么布朗先生心情不愉快吗?

66. Do you know why she is so strange to him?

你知道她为什么对他如此冷淡吗?

67. Why grumble at me about your own stupid mistakes?

你自己犯了愚蠢的错误,为什麽向我抱怨?

68. Why are you nodding (your head) if you disagree?

你若不同意为什麽要点头呢?

69. If you want to sell your old sofa, why not put an advertisement in the local paper?

你若打算卖掉旧沙发,何不在本地报纸上登个广告呢?

70. If you want to sell your old car, why not put an advertisement in the newspaper?

你要卖掉你的旧汽车,为什么不在报上登个广告呢?

71. Why did you do that, you nitwit?

你这傻瓜,为什麽做那种事?

72. The detective tried to dope out why the man was murdered.

侦探们试图搞清那人被害的原因。

73. If your riches were yours, why do not take them with you to the other world?

假如你的财产是你的东西,为什么不带着它们到黄泉去?

74. Why should we give you special treatment?

凭什麽要我们对你特殊照顾?

75. Everybody else accepts the decision. Why must you be so bloody-minded?

别人都同意这个决议,你为甚麽偏要故意刁难?

76. Don't let Tony walk all over you like that; why don't you assert yourself more?

别让托尼盛气凌人地对待你,你为何不更多地显示威力呢?

77. Given sufficient goodwill on both sides, there's no reason why this dispute shouldn't be resolved.

只要双方都有充分的善意,这种纠纷是没有理由解决不了的。

78. But why is it doctor that I am always so nervy, tense and ready to jump on anybody ...

可是大夫,为什么我总是感到神经质、紧张、爱发脾气 ...

79. For the life of him later, Sir Harold could not remember why he told the truth.

后来,哈罗德爵士怎么也记不起当时为什么要讲实话。

80. Tell me the reason (why) he refused to listen to my advice.

告诉我为何他拒绝听从我的劝告。

英语宝典
考试词汇表